The root of St. Edward’s parish reaches back to Jeddo, to Fr. Lawrence Kilroy and to 1851. In that year Fr. Kilroy started St. Lawrence Church on our present cemetery site on Jeddo Road. The two acres of property were originally purchased from the Indians by John and Mary Ann Carroll and given to the Archdiocese of Detroit for one dollar. The property was not duly registered with the Registrar of Deeds, St. Clair County, until April 12, 1860.
The church of St. Lawrence was of frame construction, 25’ x 60’, heated by a “Long John” stove which held full-sized logs. Some of our present-day parishioners built the log fires there as late as 1946. St. Lawrence Church was the second Catholic church to be built in St. Clair County, the first being St. Agatha’s, two miles south of Marine City. St. Lawrence Church later became a mission of St. Patrick’s in Croswell but was cut off when the Diocese of Saginaw was formed. The church was torn down in 1949.
St. Lawrence cemetery has markers dating over 100 years. Ox-drawn carts carried deceased loved ones from as far as Port Sanilac for burial. Some name from the markers are still known to us – Carroll, Gibbons, Burnham, Sharpe, Ryan, Burns, Brown, Holland, McKenzie, McCarthy, Fergus, and Skiffington. Presently, the cemetery is being restored.